Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dave's Two Cents

I hope no one minds my putting my Two Cents from time to time, there are several things as we get started I think should be said.
1. The Prophet said that the Book of Mormon was the most correct book on the Earth and a person would get closer to God by abiding it's precepts that any other book. On the other hand, Samuel Clemmens, (known in literature as Mark Twain) called it the cure for insomnia. I suppose it depends on your reason for reading. Of course Mr. Clemens also complained in a visit to Salt lake City that the women were not wearing the more modern and revealing fashions he was used to in San Fransisco. That is why Moroni's promise is so important. He talks about real intent and a desire to know before a witness can be received.
2. I have been asked about the 3 pages per day and what that means. Well nothing in particular, except to study is not the same as to read. I have been guilty in the past as most have of reading the Book to get through it and not necessaliary to learn the precepts. Reading only 3 pages allows enough time daily to study and not just read. Let me tell you what I mean. Everyone has read the first verse in 1 Nephi. Consider the word born and the small A. Then look down to 1A below. That refers to Birthright and looking Birthright up in the Index refers to Heirs. Nephi is talking here about being Born as an Heir or being Born in the Covenant and an Heir to all the father has. Considerably different that simply being born. Their are 5 different words with referances in the first verse alone. Study not read. Food for thought.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this. It gives me more accountability in my scripture study. And I love knowing that everyone is in about the same place in the Book of Mormon.

    This morning I got up early to exercise and study before the kids got up for school and I have to say that the morning didn't go any better than any other morning but I do feel a lot better. And I know that feeling will stay with me through the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances sent me a text saying "Family Challenge starts today"! Dave, I appreciate your post about reading the footnotes - sometimes when I do that, I find myself on a some kind of "treasure hunt" going from one word or reference to another.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to lie here sometimes 3 pages is a lot for me. Sometimes I'm tired so I only read a few verses and sometimes my mind starts to wander. Like in 3 Nephi when Jesus calls the children over. What do you think his breath smells like? Maybe minty or sweet. And do you think Lehi ever yelled at his boys to knock it off or threatened to leave them on the side of the wilderness? Anyways I'm trying to keep up but it may take me a little longer to finsh than everyone else but I did start on September 1 and I'm still reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Laura. In my minds eye I can see Laman and Lemuel asking " are we there yet " about a million times and Lehi turning his camel around and telling them " if you ask me that one more time I am leaving you on the side of the wilderness " The good news is that by the time you are my age you won't need to deal with little children, the bad news is you will probably be in bed by 9 PM.

    ReplyDelete